September 30th, 2008
Awkward Social Situations: Elevators
Lifts (or elevators) have the potential for so many awkward situations that it’s a wonder I even use them anymore. But I have to at work as the stairways are so well concealed and I therefore fall victim to one of the below:
- The “Nearly Trapped in the Closing Doors” Moment. Now I’d like to follow the rule of thumb that if a lift door is closing just wait for the next one but invariably one of the “passengers” will spot you making your way to said lift and try to keep the doors open for you. Of course, you now feel obliged to get into that lift pronto but your kind colleague’s efforts to hold the lift for you are never in sync with your arrival at the door. Now you must spend at least two seconds with a bunch of people who heard you yelp as you struggled to free your arm and bag from the metal pincers of the Lift Monster.
- The “Button Doesn’t Light Up” Fiasco. This has happened to me just once but is an awkward enough situation to warrant a mention. It is Embarassing; that’s right, with a capital Eeeeeh. I’m in the lift to go the 1st floor and I press the 1 button but it doesn’t light up. I panic because I may miss my floor as it rapidly approaches so I keep pressing the button. LIGHT UP DAMMIT! It seems however the lift has got the message but refuses to share this with me and promptly opens its doors to let me out. I peer over to the other set off buttons and alas, the number 1 shines in all its red glory. The embarassment of course is caused by the presence of your fellow passengers who all could see both the other set of numbers and me struggling with the dud set. Thanks a bunch.
- The “Marooned on an Island” Scenario. Lifts get busy. I hate being the last person to get on only to find all the safe havens against the wall of the lift are already occupied and I must now stand, stranded, in the middle of the lift; all shuffling feet and bowed head. Its like being a social outcast for a small amount of time, looked upon with a mixture of pity and disdain.
I haven’t mentioned The “Farting in the Lift and Everyone Knows it’s You” faux-pas because it has never happened to me but I recognise how that may blow these other moments out of the water.
Next in the series: Revolving Doors
Posted at 9:00 am | 4 comments | Category: General
September 29th, 2008
Prayer Room Treasures
The ladies’ prayer room at work is a treasure trove of bizarre items. Last week I found the following things there, some standard and some not so:
- Ramadan timetable
- Flourescent yellow high-visibility jacket
- Pair of brand new (tags intact) M&S men’s khaki trousers
- Dozens of paper napkins
I’ll keep you updated with any new arrivals.
Sidenote: I have spelt “you” as “upi” twice today.
Posted at 11:52 am | 2 comments | Category: General
September 25th, 2008
Posted at 10:32 am | 3 comments | Category: General
September 23rd, 2008
This is NOT a Rick Wright tribute
This song just does something to me which induces a rush of endorphins. <3
Great performance of this song on Later…with Jools Holland; try and catch it.
Posted at 11:22 pm | 4 comments | Category: Music
September 17th, 2008
RockSoc CD Swap #1
I started a rock music appreciation society at work (I know, I’m awesome) and from humble beginnings we have grown to a substantial membership size. RockSoc shall take over the world! Or something.
One of our first network events is to swap CDs with each other containing our Fave Tracks Of All Time. I started compiling mine today and I’m not sure if these are my Fave Tracks Of All Time or What I’m Loving Right Now. Here’s the track listing from my submission to the first RockSoc CD Swap and yes, I know they’re not all rock songs but that wasn’t the brief, ok? Now I have to get them to all fit onto one disc…
- What’s a Girl to Do – Bat for Lashes
- Nara – E.S. Posthumus
- Liquid Lives – Hadouken!
- Remain – José González
- Dream Brother – Jeff Buckley
- Sayonee – Junoon
- My Love ft T.I. – Justin Timberlake
- On – Bloc Party
- Kashmir – Led Zeppelin
- Fame – David Bowie
- Tanhai – Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
- Lover, You Should’ve Come Over – Jeff Buckley
- Butterflies and Hurricanes – Muse
- Climbing Up The Walls – Radiohead
- Superstar – Sonic Youth
- Schism – Tool
- Mojo Pin – Jeff Buckley
Oh, by the way, anyone else who wants a copy shall get one. Speak and ye shall be heard.
Posted at 7:06 pm | 11 comments | Category: Music
September 15th, 2008
Kindly Colleagues and other tales
I’m having one of those days at work but thankfully there’s always someone on hand to send me something to brighten the day.
Posted at 4:58 pm | 1 comment | Category: General
September 14th, 2008
Oh no you didn’t!
I <3 the Mercenaries 2 advert. The song is awesomely catchy and I’m hoping they release an album full of gangsta rap songs done in this style. Download the full version of the song here.
Posted at 3:45 pm | 4 comments | Category: Music
September 13th, 2008
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna
Someone told me that Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna was the best Bollywood film they’d ever seen so I thought I’d give it a try. This was quite a big step I took since I haven’t watched one for a while ‘cos frankly, I have better things to do with my time than watch three hours of cheesy crap but hey ho!
So right now I have ‘flu and am bored. Perfect time to test the theory and see The Greatest Bollywood Movie of All Time. So far, so shite.
Fifteen hundred hours later…
It was cheesy and unconvincing. I give up Bollywood, you and I shall part ways once more.
(Okay, I may have cried a little bit but only because I have a soft spot for Amitabh Bachan.)
Posted at 2:34 pm | 5 comments | Category: Movies
September 4th, 2008
I am finding the fasting pretty tough this year. Firstly, they are long; from half four in the morning till nearly eight! Secondly, they’re looong!
But at least that means I have time to make some tasty treats to open the fasts with after I get home from work.
The recipe for the crepes/pancakes can be found at BBC Food.
Posted at 6:37 pm | Leave a comment | Category: General
September 1st, 2008
Posted at 1:17 pm | 2 comments | Category: General